Founded in 1787, the La Purisima Mission land holdings once covered nearly 470 square miles. Bordered by the Santa Maria River in the North and the Gaviota coastline in the South, the land was home to the Chumash people and Spanish settlers. The mission is the most extensively stored in the entire state of California. Ten of the original buildings have been restored and are authentically furnished and other structures have also been restored and include the historic aqueduct and water system.
A five acre garden shows native and domestic plants that were typical of a mission garden.